The prevention and protection against floods in the upper Siret and Prut River Basins, through the implementation of a modern monitoring system with automatic stations
The overall objective of the project is to protect the border areas in the upper Siret and Prut River Basins against flood risk and to reduce the environmental, economic, and social vulnerability of targeted localities from the border region.
Aside from that, the project focuses on 8 specific objectives, of which 6 are closely related to creating a monitoring system.
- Ensuring of a high quantitative monitoring level for Siret and Prut River Basins, including the main hídraulic infrastructure Stanca Costesti (dam and reservoir) for prevention and protection against floods (by installing 26 automated monitoring stations).
- Reducing the environmental, economic, and social vulnerability of targeted localities from the border region.
- Elaboration of hazard and vulnerability maps at a global scale (using the high-resolution satellite images) and of the risk maps for Siret and Prut River Basins.
- Providing of the River Basin Protection Plan (RBPP) against floods, hydrological drought, hídrotechnical accidents at the constructions and accidental pollutions for the Siret and Prut River Basins.
- Improving the warning system by better common forecasting procedures and modeling (in case of major floods better protection of the citizen, of the environment, properties, and cultural heritage).
- Increasing the reaction capacity by better data and forecasts dissemination, public information about flood hazards and risks.
- Project management
- Visibility and Dissemination
Number of Project Partners: 8
Project Duration: 23/11/2013 – 30/06/2017
Project Budget: 9 244 000 EUR
Funded by: 2007-2013 Romania-Ukraine-Moldova ENPI CBC
Lead Partner: Ministry of Environment, Water and Forests (RO)